We are looking for a Software Engineer who can deliver a robust digital product(s) that is stable, secure, fit for purpose, supportable and delivers what our customers expect.
Our mission is to power good causes. Our vision is a world where everyone lives their lives to the fullest, and humanity has a future we can all be proud of.
We passionately believe that good causes hold the key to achieving our vision, and we exist to power the good they do.
Our core business is to provide awesome fundraising and engagement technology for the education and charity sectors.
We are a fully remote team working locally and globally, with individuals, movements and nonprofits, to build the technology, deliver the programmes and create and grow the communities and the impact those communities have. Our people are giving of their time, energy and attention, we take our ability to have fun seriously, and we have an awful lot of grit. We all care deeply about our shared mission; we expect you to, as well.
- Play Nice
- Be Generous
- Have Grit
About this role
This role will support our growth for the future, and ensure that Hubbub's products are developed in a secure, scalable and maintainable manner. You will support the prioritisation of feature development, considering customer needs, industry best practice and the goals of the company.
You will be actively involved in all team efforts and gatherings, ensure everyone that needs to be, is updated with your progress and knows what support you need or can provide. You ask for assistance and understand the dependencies across the team.
You maintain structures, follow and feedback to improve the processes that enable monitoring of progress and smooth release cycles, drive continuous improvement across the product(s),
This can be a full- or part-time/flexible role (salary/benefits pro-rated).
We are a remote first team, mostly based in the UK, with the option of having flexible office membership if necessary. This role will mainly be in typical business working hours with the option/need for overtime outside these hours. We are open to flexible working arrangements. We understand the importance of in-person contact and have at least 2 company gatherings a year (we aim for more).
We are a curious bunch and want to continue learning. We want you to develop in your role and support you to increase your abilities and impact.
Salary and benefits
Annual Salary of £50-55K (with a little flexibility for the right candidate)
- 30 days annual leave (3 compulsory at Christmas)
- 5 Life days
- Access to Perkbox
- Healthcare cash plan
- We encourage shared parental leave and pay above the statutory amount for Paternity and Maternity Leave.
- Passionate about writing well-tested and maintainable code; you follow the best practices for the technologies you work with and understand why
- Someone who can manage complexity and ambiguity but focus on the right outcome and back up your decision clearly and able to get your point across to those less technical than you
- A person with an organised and methodical approach to your work, with an attention to detail who wants to deliver high-quality services and keep the team at ease
- A problem solver who can collaborate with the rest of the team to help make an idea better
- Someone who gets things done and is willing to step up, roll up your sleeves and take responsibility, who can work effectively with little supervision and with a high degree of self-motivation
- Excited and interested in the latest technologies and keep yourself informed
- Someone with an ability to disagree and commit when necessary
- Demonstrate the ability to manage small projects to their completion against agreed deadlines/milestones.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Friendly and able to build positive relationships
- You have strong experience of developing in Python/Django with at least one ORM
- You have proven experience with relational databases and SQL
- Experience with serverless architectures, Terraform/Ansible and AWS services is a bonus.
- Work actively with the other engineers and the Product Manager on a day-to-day basis, execute in “quasi-agile” approach, with flexibility around the methodologies because of real life, but not at the expense of continuous improvement
- Take the initiative, support the planning and architecture of new features. Analyse the performance of your code in production and re-architect for bottlenecks, using automated monitoring tools where appropriate
- Document your design choices; produce enough documentation so that someone else can maintain and improve your codebase. Maintain your code as necessary with bug fixes and patches
- Ensure the platform is secure by design and drive improvement across the business collaborating where appropriate to continuously improve the products and services we offer.
Hubbub is an equal opportunities employer and we are keen to speak with you even if you feel you don’t have the ‘right’ professional experience but are fully capable of doing the role. We think all life experience is valuable and useful for this role. Hitting the ground running is useful, but you will get supportive on-the-job training to support your success
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: I am your new Software Engineer.
Please write a little bit about yourself that can’t be found on your CV, including the following:
- What encouraged you to apply;
- Why Hubbub;
- In no more than 300 words, let us know a situation where you have used your skills to do something unusual or different.
The closing date is midnight (GMT) on 29th November 2021. We will review all applications after that date and contact you by email if we have progressed your application to interview. If you have not heard back by 6th December 2021, please feel free to contact us as we are always happy to provide feedback when asked.