Finance & Operations Manager
Hubbub is doubling our customer numbers and quadrupling our impact, year on year. Our core business is to provide awesome fundraising and engagement technology for universities and charities. In 2020, we will more than double our customer numbers again. In order to meet increasing demand, we are now looking for a Finance & Operations Manager, or a Finance specialist keen to branch out into a broader operations role as part of a small team.
We anticipate that you may have an unconventional career path, a head for numbers, who enjoys joining the dots and making systems and processes work. Great finance and operations people are problem-solvers, thinkers, do-ers, fantastic communicators, not afraid to get their hands dirty but with a clear vision for overall direction and the insight for what change is going to matter. Value alignment, culture fit, and being able to showcase your skills - these are the things we’ll be looking for.
A bit more about the role
We have a lot of data, a decent finance function, and a fair few disparate systems across the company with a desire to join up, improve, automate (to catch up a little with the growth we’ve had), and prepare for the rapid growth that is yet to come. You’ll need to be confident and able managing a finance function - primarily in terms of processes, controls, data and metrics reporting. There are, and will continue to be, plenty of opportunities for you to raise issues, explore opportunities and be innovative in this role.
- Responsible for the finance function at Hubbub
- Preparing monthly management accounts, journals, and balance sheet reconciliations
- Preparing and submitting Quarterly VAT returns
- Tracking and managing company expenses, ensuring they are correctly accounted for and controlled
- Owning and developing Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable processes, ensuring timely payments and control
- Contributing to the continuous development and improvement of finance processes and systems, driving efficiency
- Managing the consistency of existing accounting systems through creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards and procedures
- Developing and improving financial reports and forecasts with input from key stakeholders
- Assisting VP Operations with the development and implementation of systems and processes company-wide
- Assisting with, and responsible for Internal CMS - data / contracts / documentation / process
- Ensuring compliance register is kept up to date, and that any relevant dates are met by the relevant person / team
- Other ad-hoc reporting and finance / operations / office management tasks
- Experience with U.S. and Australia accounting requirements
- Experience with Xero
- Experience of payroll management
It’s likely you have a strong ability in finance, a desire to establish, measure, iterate and improve processes, and strong communication skills. You are an enthusiastic team player with a positive, collaborative and positive attitude, with a proven ability to manage your workload, particularly in response to changing demands and priorities. If you have startup experience or fast growth experience that’s likely to help - especially if it was in an operations or finance role.
Why does Hubbub exist?
To power the good causes of the future. Because only they can ensure we all live our lives to the fullest, and humanity has a future we can all be proud of.
How do we achieve this?
To do this, we create communities around those causes, centered on all forms of giving.
We work locally and globally, with individuals, movements and nonprofits, to build the technology, deliver the programmes and create and grow the communities and the impact those communities have.
We are a 50% London, 50% remote team. We operate with weekly OKR meetings against quarterly objectives, with weekly all-hands meetings - and the whole team gets together twice a year. There’s a dog in the office most of the time. He’s cute. Our people are giving of their time, energy and attention, we take our ability to have fun seriously, and we have an awful lot of grit. We all care deeply about our shared mission; we expect you to, as well.
Reporting to/Based in
You’ll be reporting to the VP of Operations, joining all the all-company meetings. On a day to day basis, you’ll be working actively with the VP of Operations and Commercial Director, and sometimes the Head of Technology & Product.
We anticipate that you’ll be based in our offices on Old Street, London. We’re open to flexible working both in location and times, but for this role, we don’t think a fully remote hire is going to deliver what’s needed.